February 8, 2013

Visiting Hong Kong from February 9-15

A heads up to anyone who may try to contact me next week: I'll be even slower at responding because I'll be on a press trip to Hong Kong from the 9th until the 15th. ...And then I'm visiting my dad in Taipei for 1.5 days. I'm coming back to New York on the 17th through Hong Kong. (If you think that sounds like a weird schedule, then yup, it kind of is. When I got the press trip office a few weeks ago, I asked if I could get the return date extended, allowing me to get my own round trip ticket to Taipei, a mere 90-minute flight from Hong Kong. Ultimately, the schedule only allowed for the Taipei leg of the trip to be 1.5 days, but I'm still grateful for it.) I would've mentioned my trip sooner (like, not the same day I'm flying out), but I didn't want to say anything until I received my final itinerary, which just happened yesterday afternoon.

I don't know if I have many readers in Hong Kong (and by "many" I mean like, two people), but I would love to meet anyone who's free and interested in putting a face to this blog. (I know most of you have seen my face, but...have you seen it morphing and breathing and being all congested?! ...Oh yeah...no one wants to see that.) The only problem is that my itinerary is super packed—I'd only be free after 10 or 11 p.m. most days—and according to one of my friends in Hong Kong, most good food places are closed at the start of the lunar new year holiday. So....hm...

I don't really expect anything to emerge from this, but I figured I'd put the message out there. If you want to respond to this message, email me at roboppy@gmail.com (do not leave a comment). Thank you!

(Guys, I swear I have a substantial post that's...almost ready to go. It's 95% written. But that last 5% will probably take a few hours to finish, hours I won't have until I get back from my trip. Yeah, I should get an award for "SLOWEST.")

All right, time for me to get four hours of sleep before heading to the airport.

Tags:

Comments ()

Nooo, I didn't get to wish you happy traveling yesterday. I hope you have a great trip!!!

Posted by: Lily at February 8, 2013 11:35 AM [#]

Wow! I'm so jealous! I'm from HK and miss it so much, especially since my favorite cousin is about to give birth in March! :) Definitely hit lots of dai pai dong (street foods) and bo law bao. :)

Posted by: kim at February 8, 2013 8:37 PM [#]

Have a safe flight and have a good time in Hong Kong! I wish I was in Asia for the Lunar new year!! Have fun with your dad! :)

Posted by: Winnie at February 8, 2013 11:15 PM [#]

You're slow, but you're worth waiting for. Enjoy the new year!

Posted by: Marsha Calhoun at February 10, 2013 7:45 PM [#]

Wow, that's awesome! Have fun, Robin :D

I'm so jealous you get to be in Asia for New Year's! I've heard such great things about it since everyone is celebrating (yea, general nightlife is definitely going to be down). Are you going to be able to see the 'process' of CNY or do tours where you can see celebrations?? I'd love to see that, since I won't be able to go myself in the foreseeable future.

Have a great time!!! YAAAHHH!!!!

Posted by: Alice at February 13, 2013 12:18 PM [#]

dont miss tsui wah restaurant and austrialian milk company.

Posted by: Jimmy at February 16, 2013 12:03 PM [#]

Thanks for all your comments! Happy year of the snake!

Lily: Thanks, my trip was great!

kim: I'm afraid I didn't get to eat lots of street food or pineapple buns, but..I did dabble in both. I really should've eaten more buns. Sigh. I did get to eat a pork chop sandwich made with a pineapple bun during my layover back to NYC. Yeaah that was good.

Winnie: Thanks! I had lots o fun!

Marsha: Aww that is sweet of you, thanks!

Alice: I did see some major celebrating in the form of a big parade and long fireworks show and super crowded temple...and now that I've visited during CNY I never have to do that again, hehe. It's not such a good time for food since many places close over the week, but it was fun to see everyone in the holiday spirit!

Jimmy: My hotel was right by a Tsui Wah, thankfully. Otherwise I don't think I would've fit in a visit there! Wish we had that in NYC. Condensed milk bun FTW. As for AMC...it was closed for CNY! :( (Actually, it reopened on Sunday, so I could've gone during my layover, but I ate a bunch of other stuff around Central instead. No regrets! I'll have to try it next time.)

Posted by: roboppy at February 19, 2013 3:05 AM [#]

So the week I drown in work, you were in the same time zone as me.

Sniff.

When shall we finally meet in Asia?

That said, I think I need to swing by NYC. And soon.

Posted by: Mahar at February 19, 2013 10:29 AM [#]

I always thought it'd be fun to have New Years in china. I look forward to tasty pictures!

Posted by: Jason at February 22, 2013 8:19 AM [#]