May 22, 2012

A Summary of My Vacation in Berlin

View Germany Trip, April 2012 in a larger map.

Thanks to your suggestions, I had a great time during my recent trip to Berlin! And now you'll get to see just how many of your suggestions I didn't use because I fail at planning. [flashes a thumbs up]

...Well, you're supposed to relax on a vacation, so I've heard. Aside from do stuff. And that necessary step of planning the "stuff" stresses me out, a skill I haven't developed well due to a spoiled life of, well, not having to plan much. I usually rely on the friends I'm traveling with to figure out our activities, or cling to locals like they're my seeing-eye dog—both of which happened in Berlin. But out of all the vacations I've ever taken, I think this is the one I've done the most planning for. And this is what I learned: I need to learn how to plan better.

Since I never know if a series of posts about a vacation will take a few weeks or a few months (...nah, I'm lying; it'll definitely be the latter), I'm starting this series of Berlin posts with a Table of Contents of sorts, a list of my major activities in handy, not photo-laden (but really long) bulleted-list form. Hopefully this can help someone plan a trip to Berlin.

To clarify a few things, I flew to Berlin with my friend Diana (travel buddy to Norway and Iceland), where we met up with my boyfriend Kåre, who flew in from Norway. Kåre and I stayed in a different hotel from Diana, and we spent about half the days apart, meeting up at nights for dinner.

Aaaaand here we go:

Day 1 (Thursday, April 5th)

An alley of street art
Haus Schwarzenberg

Day 2 (Friday, April 6)

My sundae with nuts n stuff
Sundae from Fräulein Frost.

Day 3 (Saturday, April 7)

Cathedral and TV Tower
Berlin Cathedral and TV Tower.

Day 4 (Sunday, April 8)

Neutrale Zone
Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial

Day 5 (Monday, April 9)

Counter
Counter at Curry 36.

Day 6 (Tuesday, April 10)

Cottbuser football club fans
Taking photos of football fans.

Day 7 (Wednesday, April 11)

Doner
Doner kebab from Mustafa's.

Day 8 (Thursday, April 12)

...The end.

...Wait, should I even bother writing real posts?

...Okay, I'll still do that. Eventually.

Things Worth Knowing Before Visiting Berlin

Crosswalk button
One of many kinds of crosswalk buttons. Look at that dude strut.

These aren't all things you have to know—you'd figure out a lot of this stuff right away—but some of these points may be useful to know beforehand, and I didn't know 'em all. I didn't do much research, admittedly.

Tags: berlin, diana, dresden, germany, kare, travel, vacations

Comments

I was just in Berlin and I almost never paid for the public transportation. I am the worst (the cheapest). P.S. When I was there I tried to look for 1 euro sandwiches but never found 'em. And MUSTAFA'S FREAKING ROCKS.

Posted by: Sabrina at May 22, 2012 7:55 AM [#]

Sabrina: Oh no...I don't want to give everyone the idea that they should ride for free, hehe. ;) But, hey, good when you're on a budget. I wonder how much the fine is; I'm gonna look that up. The U-Bahn was so nice compared to NYC's subway...

Glad you agree about Mustafa's! I WANT MORE.

Posted by: roboppy at May 22, 2012 12:30 PM [#]

Regarding Ku'damm: "NOTHING HERE FOR US!" Exactly.

Even your table of contents style are great

Posted by: eatyourheartout at May 22, 2012 3:17 PM [#]

Perfect timing! I'm going to Berlin this Friday! :)

Posted by: kim at May 22, 2012 7:09 PM [#]

eatyourheartout: Thanks for reading!

Kim: Yay, glad I could help!

Posted by: roboppy at May 22, 2012 11:15 PM [#]

Oh fun! Gosh I miss Germany. My sis lives in Dusseldorf. The taro BOBA *is what we West Coast folks call BUBBLE TEA* w. 'popping' bubbles filled w. lychee juice sounds really good! Too bad it wasn't... HA!

Posted by: Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds at May 24, 2012 12:02 AM [#]

OMG, I suddenly miss Berlin after reading your post. Awesome!

Posted by: Chungwan at May 24, 2012 2:35 AM [#]

wow. It looks like this trip was well planned! also, thanks for the very useful tips! :)

Posted by: TravelJunkie at May 24, 2012 8:23 PM [#]

Just came back from Berlin and we absolutely loved the city. It helped for sure that the weather was glorious the whole 6 days we were there!
We did try some bubble tea with lychee bubbles and loved it! I don't like taro or tapioca bubbles but I loved all those super refreshing fruit bubbles that went down beautifully on those hot days.
My favorite visit was the Reichstag building. Visit was free and it's beautiful inside. We took some amazing pictures there.

Posted by: Caroline at May 28, 2012 3:21 AM [#]

Just came back from Berlin too, it was my third time there but oh it was wonderful. And Mustafa's — BEST. KEBAB. EVER.

Posted by: clarisse at May 30, 2012 2:51 PM [#]

Stephanie: People call it boba here too, but I guess I usually call em "bubbles." Popping bubbles is just so different from good ol' tapioca balls...ah well, maybe some people prefer it.

Chungwan: Thanks for reading!

TravelJunkie: You're welcome!

Caroline: Glad to hear you had a good time! The weather was great for us too.

Clarisse: Ah yeah, I still miss Mustafa's. ;_;

Posted by: roboppy at June 4, 2012 12:25 AM [#]

Thanks so much for the pictures and stories! Would love to spend a week in Berlin soon. I miss it.

Posted by: Kristine at August 23, 2012 12:49 PM [#]