January 31, 2009

I'm Never Ordering Waffles Again

Note, re: previous entry's note: I totally didn't go to bed before midnight. I feel like fail.

strawberries and blueberries
Bask in the radiant glow of these waffles. Bask.

There's no point in ordering waffles at a restaurant from this point on knowing that Greg can make The Best Waffles Ever. For free. I mean, there is that small exchange of allowing him to make fun of me and guffaw at my infantile behavior, but then I get to eat DELICIOUS WAFFLES!!!! (I excuse myself from waffle-making duties because I don't have a waffle iron.)

What do The Best Waffles ever taste like? Lightly crisp. Lightly sweet. Lightly...light. The whipped egg whites turn what looks like a normal waffle into a crispy wheaty pillow laden with golden edges begging to be crunched through with your fork and full of pockets perfectly fit for blueberries and syrup and whatnot. It's beautifulllll. Never before had I encountered such a bliss-inducing waffle.

NOM NOM NOM NOM
APPROVED! By Kathy and Greg.

Three out of three Asians approve (Me being the third. Not some invisible Asian person.)

Greg didn't give me the recipe, but he said I should be able to find it with the magic of Google. So I Googled. ...And got a bunch of recipes that were similar, but not the same. This one from Recipezaar sounds most promising though.

Update: Here's the recipe!

Even though these waffles initially feel feather-light, they will, like any other food, eventually compact in your belly. We went through at least four of them. Or five. You lose count after a while.

Tags: cooking, Greg, Kathy, waffles

Comments

While I may not have tasted your waffle-y goodness, you can count me in as "approved by four out of four Asians" because I have not yet met a waffle I haven't loved. Waffles with butter, syrup, fruit, whipped cream, chocolate chips -- the possiblities are ENDLESS, I tell you! Endless!

- S

PS: I'm totally down with being the "grasshopper" to your "sensi" when it comes to the enjoyment of gelato. Shoot me an email about how your schedule usually looks like, we'll talk :)

Posted by: Steph at January 31, 2009 1:45 AM [#]

Heck, those waffles look amazingly amazing! (That's a whole heck of amazing) Fed Ex me some?

Posted by: Morten at January 31, 2009 7:21 AM [#]

Look for Emeril's waffle recipe on foodtv.com. Its the same thing, you whip the egg whites and you fold it in the end with the batter. The recipe calls for cake flour too. Also, every waffle maker cooks differently, I have owned 2 ever since I found the Emeril recipe. But the advice is not to follow the waffle maker's signal of when the waffle is done but to use your own judgement. Usually it takes 3.5 minutes or until it is golden brown and crisp.

Posted by: Epicurean at January 31, 2009 9:11 AM [#]

Here's the recipe! When I said "everrrrrrrrrrrr" I meant "I mean ever!!!!" So if google "the best waffle recipe ever..and I mean ever!!!" you should come up with it. That's how I ran across it. Or here's the link:

-G

Posted by: Greg at January 31, 2009 11:06 AM [#]

Morten: COME OVER HEERE!!!

..Well, Norway has nice waffles too. :)

Epicurean: Greg's waffle maker seemed to be made just for these waffles...or when it beeped, the waffles were nice and golden. :)

Greg: WELL OTAAY

I updated my entry with your link. Weee.

Posted by: roboppy at January 31, 2009 2:47 PM [#]

OMGZ! i finaLLy got to see Kathy's eyebaLL hat!

Posted by: Aliiiiiiiiiiiiice at January 31, 2009 4:55 PM [#]

oh god i just totally despaired because im out of waffles, after that night when i ate like four in a row. i know they're frozen waffles and nothing like those gorgeous ones you had, but i wanted some approximation... *weep*

Posted by: jesi at February 1, 2009 3:10 AM [#]

Wow. I wonder what I can make out of waffle batter that isn't waffles... *doesn't have a waffle iron*
Meringue egg whites for waffling sounds like a top idea though.

(now, in my head, I'm saying wah'ful instead of woh'ful @_@ The word has lost all meaning)

Posted by: SuperChomp at February 1, 2009 5:15 PM [#]

Yum! It looks good and clearly it is being enjoyed! :)

Posted by: Juliet at February 1, 2009 9:32 PM [#]

Alice: The super expensive hat! It looks cool on her though.

Jesi: Frozen waffle..probably still better than no waffle though, eh?

SuperChomp: Saying it like "woe'ful" messes up my braaain!

You could make like..a really..fluffy pancake?

Juliet: They might be hamming it up a bit for the camera...but I'd say it was very much enjoyed.

Posted by: roboppy at February 1, 2009 11:10 PM [#]

I just had a bacon waffle for breakfast! It's one of my favorite combinations, crispy bacon bits enrobed in waffley goodness.

Posted by: Mila at February 2, 2009 12:57 AM [#]

Thank you so much for this post! I made this on Sunday for brunch and they are truly the best waffles ever! The key is to NOT overmix. These babies were absolutely perfect; crunchy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. YUM!

Posted by: Gastro888 at February 3, 2009 9:29 AM [#]

Mila: Damn, I've never had that before. Pork waffle. Mm.

Gastro888: WOOHOO, glad to hear someone actually made em! Soo tasty.

Posted by: roboppy at February 3, 2009 11:33 PM [#]

My mother has been using the same waffle recipe for about 45 years, I think it is known as the Stay-Crisp waffle.
Hers has some sour cream in the batter.
I don't know if the recipe is on the internet, but perhaps this one is not too different
"http://www.ichef.com/recipe.cfm/recipe/Best%20Ever%20Pancakes%20Or%20Waffles/itemid/110937/task/display/recipeid/96164/recipecategoryid/37"

Waffles are the best!

Posted by: Lisa in Toronto at February 4, 2009 11:23 PM [#]

Lisa: Thanks for the recipe!

Posted by: roboppy at February 6, 2009 1:23 AM [#]

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I myself don't partake in waffle consumption, but I know plenty of people who do, and I love making delicious food for others ^_^

Also, you captured a really great image of your buddies chowing down on their wonder-waffles! But I'm not surprised because your photography is always tops!

Posted by: Samantha P. at February 7, 2009 11:55 AM [#]

Samantha: Thanks! It's easy to get good photos of people eating waffles cos they're so HAPPYYY!

Posted by: roboppy at February 9, 2009 12:58 AM [#]

Waffles look delicious...here's a yummy waffle waffle I had from Wafles & Dinges although yours look much healthier :)

Posted by: nithya at hungrydesi at February 22, 2009 10:13 AM [#]

No question about it, the texture is the best outcome I've ever had! I do find the taste rather flat though. I will experiment with the taste and hopefully the texture will remain the same. In the past I made a waffle recipe with the addition of malted milk powder (Carnation) and the taste was incredible but texture wise doesn't come close to your recipe.

Posted by: Emm at March 3, 2011 1:31 PM [#]

» 06/20/15: Bye, Taipei, and Thanks for the Despair Juice

» 11/17/14: Visiting Seoul from November 23 to 30

» 11/10/14: Thank You, Cafe Kuroshio, For Pulling Me Out of "I Don't Know How to Chinese" Dumpsville

» 08/27/14: How to Throw a Surprise Birthday Party (From Someone Who Has Been Surprised Too Many Times)

» 07/10/14: Everything I Ate During Istanbul Eats' Six-Hour Food Tour

» 06/07/14: Good-Bye, Serious Eats and NYC; Hello, Unemployment and Taipei!

» 05/19/14: Curry-Ya's Baked Curry Is a Most Beautiful Egg-Topped, Cheese-Crusted Thing

» 04/28/14: A Random Conversation About Hot Loose Apples

Here are some ways to help me out monetarily:

- Buy stuff through my Amazon ID
- Buy my shirts and bags at maigocute.com