So I had a pretty nice day, as far as my days go (and they're usually not good). I wasted a crapload of time at Japanese Snacks.com, thinking that I could buy something tomorrow in Chinatown after getting a haircut (I really need a haircut so I'm gonna chop off 3 inches or so and hope that $20 will get me a good haircut). Looking at all the snacks made me nostalgic and Japanese candy-hungry. Examples of stuff I used to eat all the time:
- Super Lemon: Really sour stuff. I think my brother remembers these. I have NO idea why we ate these so much as I don't even like sour candy. Kids are weird.
- Kasugai Gummies: Best gummies ever. They don't look or taste artificial (well, as far as gummies go) and they tower above any other type of gummy candy out there. I've probably had every flavor. They also come in cute little packs in which the gummies aren't individually wrapped.
- Milky: I didn't eat these all the time but I clearly remember the cute rectangular metal boxes it came in and the orange and red wrappings. I can picture in my mind the little candies sitting in the box and for some reason it's a pleasant thought...I have no idea what I'm talking about, it's just a feeling.
- Koala Cookies: My family would buy the BIG packs of this, as in the huge containers that had 12 or so little packs inside. Of course, if I bought one of those today (can't say I've seen em) I'd eat the whole thing. I don't know how I ate as a child but I guess I had more restraint than I do now.
- Kinoko no Yama: I think I've only had this once or twice when I was little but they were so good that I STILL REMEMBER THEM. I'm sure it was more than 10 years ago I actually tried this. Anyhoo, even if they don't taste really good they're so cute that you'll think they taste really good.
- Yan Yan: I don't think I ate this very much but I'm mentioning it because it's quintessential. I don't think I'm into dipping my own cookie sticks, but it's kind of fun.
- Shrimp Chips: I'm not a huge fan of shrimp and these chips probably don't taste that good (or much like shrimp) but since they remind me of childhood I like them. I can't compare them to anything else. Another good snack is Calbee's Potato Sticks or something like that. I distinctly remember eating an entire bag one time (damn MSG) when I was in elementary school and the salt made my mouth hurt all day. That's probably why I only did it once.
I've been told that I have to try Melty Kiss. I also want to try Giant Pocky...has anyone had it? I've seen it but was never curious enough to buy it as the box is quite huge and...scary. Oh, I didn't even mention Pocky in my above list because I don't recall eating it a lot as a kid. That IS the main Japanese snack that most people would know, I think.
Oh, to the crappy point of my post, I was feeling somewhat excited about trying something or eating something besides fruit but after trying on a pair of pants that I'm quite sure fit at some point, I'm rather disgusted with my desire to eat at all. Of course, I'm human and I'll want to eat, but what the heck happened to those pants? They didn't shrink sitting in my closet. I haven't worn them in a while but I'm somewhat sure I bought them pre-raw foodist which means they should fit. At the moment, I don't see how they could've fit even when I was a raw foodist. I did lose a lot of weight though.
...and god knows how. Well. BY EATING FRUIT. And junk. I did end up gaining some weight after a while on raw food but not nearly as much as when I started eating cooked food. I have no experience with being addicted to smoking or alcohol but this whole food thing has got to be the worst as humans have to eat at some point (most of them at least) while humans don't have to smoke or drink (or do drugs, blahdeedah) and I think everyone accepts the act of eating while the other acts...not so much depending on where you are. Anyway. I don't know what to do.
I was also thinking how much fun it would be to go to Mitsuwa after finding their bus schedule (30 minutes from port authority, $2 each way!), maybe relive some fun moments with Jen or anyone who would care to come with me from NYC but...gah. I might go nuts. Not from the candy but that place is just full of good food not to mention books and stationery.
I guess I'll stay inside tomorrow aside from the haircut. Pray for me, hope I don't buy Pocky or any other candy or go insane just thinking about it. This is what I mean when I say that just when I think everything will be okay, it ...goes to crap. Or semi-crap. The thing is that it happens so much (weekly to biweekly basis) that I should be used to it by now, but I'm not. I don't think I'll ever be happy with myself but if I could eliminate 5+ pounds I'd feel a little better. In the meantime I'll continue wearing my brother's old pants (because they're comfy and I needed pants) and my 4 year old men's cashmere hoodie (because it's gigantic and I think I like baggy clothes more now than I did before).
Crap, I have to do homework.