March 24, 2013

Shopsins' Poached Egg-Filled, Double-Decker French Toast Grilled Cheese Sandwich, You're the Best

I was hoping to finish writing a big roundup of my favorite bites from 2012 before leaving on my trip to Istanbul today. Haha. HAHA. HAHAHA nope, that's definitely not happening.

But before I go to bed and get five hours of sleep, I can write about this one thing I ate yesterday. Look at this sandwich:

Yeah.

And again:

Mmhm.

And how about again, because I turned the plate around:

Yeah.

And this! [points wildly]

Yeah.

This fantastic breakfast glory pile of bread, cheese, and eggs is the So Good ($16) from Shopsins. They called it the So Good because duh. The beast of a menu describes it as "3D french toast grilled cheese, poached eggs." More specifically, it's a double-decker grilled cheese sandwich made with three slices of French toast thickly layered with loads of oozing cheese. The center of the sandwich gets cored to make room for two perfectly poached eggs, resulting in the bonus prize of a biscuit-sized, crust-less baby grilled cheese sandwich on the side.

Maple syrup
It comes with a small bottle of maple syrup. Perfect.

Do you want salty? Do you want sweet? Do you want cheesy? Do you want bready? Do you want cholesterol? DO YOU WANT TO HAVE IT ALL? YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL!!! BECAUSE FREEDOM AND AMERICA AND STUFF!!!

Lil' grilled cheese innards
Cross section of the baby grilled cheese sandwich.

I don't know the last time I felt so much food joy. A quiet joy. A quiet, food coma-laced joy.

Shopsins
120 Essex Street, New York, NY 10002 (map)
shopsins.com‎

Tags: essex street market, lower east side, sandwiches, shopsins

Comments

Oh man I have to get myself over to Shopsins asap to try this, maybe this afternoon! What a glorious sandwich. Have a great trip to Istanbul, I predict you'll be eating lots of tasty food!

Posted by: ahu at March 24, 2013 9:13 AM [#]

Omg...I'm a gonna make this one at home...drool.

Posted by: Su-Lin at March 24, 2013 2:35 PM [#]

Holy moly, beast of a menu is right. How many of the sandwiches and gazillion other things have you tried, and how did you ever decide on the So Good out of EVERRRYTHINNG??!

Posted by: Michael (S.O.F.A.T. Blog) at March 29, 2013 12:30 PM [#]

YUM....love your posts, as always, terrific photography and commentary. The force behind Serious Eats. Hope you had fun in Istanbul!

Headed to Pig and Khao next week, not sure if you've been there yet, sounds right up your alley!

Posted by: Bonnie at March 30, 2013 10:12 AM [#]

I MUST HAVE THAT THING OMG. Not in NY so will try and make it myself at home -- what a brilliant idea!

Posted by: Elaine at April 5, 2013 6:06 AM [#]

Shopsins! I've been meaning to try that place. Although looking at their menu makes me want to go into a panic attack...

Posted by: Vicky at April 18, 2013 10:19 PM [#]

Oh crap, I didn't mean to neglect this blog for so long, sorry! ;_; I was sick for a few weeks after I got back from Istanbul and have yet to get back in the groove of things. Sigh.

ahu: Hope you got to try it! I ate very well in Istanbul. :D

Su-Lin: YAY! Let me know if you do!

Michael: It's hard to make a decision, for sure. The "So Good"'s name helped narrow things down. :) I haven't tried much of the menu...sliders, some breakfast stuff, a few sandwiches, duck confit, doughnuts. I think the sliders and sandwiches have been most successful, but almost everything I've eaten there has been damn good. FRESH DOUGHNUTS. Mmm. Also, mac and cheese pancakes are tasty.

Bonnie: Thanks, I had a great time in Istanbul! As for Pig and Khao, I haven't been, but it sounds like my kind of place!

Elaine: Hope you can make it! I guess it's not the hardest recipe, but I'd be too lazy to do it on my own. Besides that all sandwiches seem to taste better when other people make em for you.

Vicky: Do it! Don't fear the menu!

Posted by: roboppy at April 20, 2013 1:30 AM [#]

Oh... Hell to the YEAAAAH!!! I super heart Shopsin's. I never bring anyone who's not a serious eater and those I bring, I tell them the same thing " I will NOT get kicked out because of you so don't do anything stupid " and then I proceed to tell them the rules. LOL

Posted by: Agnes at July 25, 2013 3:15 AM [#]

» 06/20/15: Bye, Taipei, and Thanks for the Despair Juice

» 11/17/14: Visiting Seoul from November 23 to 30

» 11/10/14: Thank You, Cafe Kuroshio, For Pulling Me Out of "I Don't Know How to Chinese" Dumpsville

» 08/27/14: How to Throw a Surprise Birthday Party (From Someone Who Has Been Surprised Too Many Times)

» 07/10/14: Everything I Ate During Istanbul Eats' Six-Hour Food Tour

» 06/07/14: Good-Bye, Serious Eats and NYC; Hello, Unemployment and Taipei!

» 05/19/14: Curry-Ya's Baked Curry Is a Most Beautiful Egg-Topped, Cheese-Crusted Thing

» 04/28/14: A Random Conversation About Hot Loose Apples

Here are some ways to help me out monetarily:

- Buy stuff through my Amazon ID
- Buy my shirts and bags at maigocute.com