travel Archives

February 25, 2004

Could I Get Any More Sidetracked?

I was working on my bio manuscript (which is due next Tuesday; could I be any more screwed?) and I suddenly got sidetracked. Well, maybe not suddenly. Well. Erm. It's hard for me to concentrate on things, which makes me wonder how I've survived throughout all these years of schooling.

I was reading this review of the movie Eurotrip and ended up checking out for an extended amount of time. I mean, I'm still there. Dammit. This metafilter post sparked my interest in travel and made me think about how the only time I went to Europe (I say that as if everyone has gone many times, sorry) was when I was seven. Needless to say, I was bored out of my freakin' mind by everything that wasn't owned by the Disney Corporation, but even EuroDisney was just "okay" because it wasn't finished yet.

My first passport is overflowing with stamps from Asia (my second passport is blank, as far as I can remember). Maybe I'm lucky since I happen to be one of those people whose international excursions took place in Asia 99.99% of the time. However, I don't remember a great deal. My mum had to remind me that I went to do you forget something like that? I mean, that's a major city. But it's not really the same as Europe. When I went to Europe with my family, we went to a few counties (erm, maybe?), but in Asia...actually, we kind of did the same thing. Actually, Asia's COMPLETELY different, you can't even compare it to Europe, really.

Sorry, I'm just babbling. I SHOULD BE DOING BIO! But anyhoo, I want to go to London or Bergen (Norway). Just because. I wonder how much money I'd need to save up to do that. The only thing is that there isn't anyone I would care to drag along with me, and since I'm 18 I could technically go by myself, right? But then what the heck would I do when I get to any of these places? Could I really explore these places on my own? I've never even flown a plane on my own and haven't had to since I'm so close to home. I'm just having stupid daydreams here (actually, it's really late, but you know what I mean). I don't have enough friends in any European counties anyway...well blah me.

My roommate has been sleeping for the past few hours. She went to bed early because the Internet wasn't working at the time, she couldn't borrow a movie she had to watch for some class, and she had nothing else to do. Nothing? As much as I'd love to go to bed before 10 PM, there's too many things I could imagine doing, or actually have to do. I'm really worried about this bio manuscript, for one thing.

Oh, it's so stupid for me to be thinking of such random things. I probably wouldn't be able to even save up a few hundred dollars anyway.

Rarhg..RAGRHA god I'm tired. Somewhat. I just feel tired because I've been in a very dark room for the past few hours.

March 2, 2004

Things Are More Fun When They're Chicken-Shaped

(Note: none of the links come up in this excerpt, so you'll have to click on the "continue reading" bit. I'm not sure how to change that. Grr.) This wouldn't be nearly as cool if it were just a big hunk of colorless plastic. But it's CHICKEN-SHAPED! And you know what that means? IT'S SHAPED LIKE A CHICKEN! Amazing, I know. Here is my machine amidst the crap on my desk (that water tastes kind of funny, by the way. It's from "Frontenac Crystal Springs in the beautiful Thousand Islands, Clayton, NY"...well, you may be beautiful, but you taste funny). As great as the machine is though, you couldn't imagine my glee when I saw the so-bad-they're-good button designs that came with the machine. Here's a sampling of them, plus my own comments. Who wouldn't want a button with a blue whale saying "Happy New Year"? Huh? HUH? Only losers. Yeah, you heard me.

...okay, I'll have to rethink those last few statements. Those bad buttons have given me the idea to design some bad Engrish buttons (here's something from the button machine box). People might buy those, right? Everyone seems to like the animal thoughts buttons at least. I'm making new ones now about different kinds of weather featuring happy/sad/angry clouds. I could make more animal ones too I guess, but it's a lot easier to draw clouds. Hellloooo overlapping circles!

This week has been rather good so far. Then again, I've only had two days of school. Tomorrow shouldn't be so bad though: wake up at 10 AM, go to Japanese, come back to the room and eat lunch, take music midterm (which I'll cram for), "work" in the media cloisters for two hours (I can't help to feel guilty about that), come back to my room and...yeah, that's about it. Yesterday had some amazing weather and today wasn't as nice, but still a great relief from being pelted with freezing rain/snow/squirrels (come to think of it, I haven't seen squirrels for a while). I would daresay it's sweltering now in this 40-50 degree weather. Yes, that's sweltering for the time being. When it goes into the 80s and 90s, I'll turn into a puddle of human mass.

The trip to California is coming up soon! Disneyland! Yes! I'm probably a dork for getting excited about going to Disneyland, but I was brought up on Disney theme parks since my youth (youth starts at approximately 5 years of age). I still remember the first time I went to Disney World, which actually wasn't that enthralling since I was woken up in the middle of the night so my family could visit our cousins in Tampa and go to Epcot center for one stinkin' day, but it was still good. I guess. The last time I went to a Disney park was in 9th grade, during which I actually went to Disney World and Disneyland, the first because of a school band trip and the second as a family trip with my mum and brother. At that time they were doing loads of construction as neither Downtown Disney or California Adventure had opened yet. They got rid of the Oriental Garden part of the Disneyland Hotel, which we had always stayed at, to make room for the new commercial paradise. ...okay, all of Disney is like that, but now there are more stores and restaurants. And a movie theater. Mmhm...anyhoo, I found out that the rides I like the most (Space Mountain and the Indian Jones Adventure) will be closed while I'm there. Joy.

For some other exciting travel news, I might be going to England this summer! It would be the first time I've been there, and while I've heard British people described as "like Americans, but with more sticks up their asses", I think I'll take my chances. I was chatting with an old friend from high school, Katherine, who's originally from England but lived in NJ for a few years and then moved to CA before moving back to England, and she decided to call me! I don't talk on the phone very often, so her phone call made me incredibly happy. Out of all the friends I've made in high school, she's the only I've kept the most contact with. I've also probably known her for the shortest amount of time. Funny how that turns out. And, of course, she ended up moving at the end of 10th grade. I still remember on the first day of classes in 11th grade when roll was being called in my gym class, her name came up. We would've been in the same class! I ended up hating that gym class with a passion, as I had no friends in it. Thankfully my teacher was cool.

Erm, I got a bit off track there. Well! I don't know how much the phone bill will be, but I think we chatted for about half an hour. She said I sounded extremely American. That makes sense, of course, but it's funny to hear someone else say it. I couldn't always understand what she was saying, unfortunately...well, I never could. :) I'm not sure when the topic of me visiting her came up, but it did. We'd like to travel around Europe together for fun. I want to go to Norway, particularly. I spent ages looking up ticket prices last night (when I should've been doing homework) and everything looks so expensive. Well duh, of course it's expensive. Maybe I should be glad I don't live on the west coast at least, since that would tack on some hundreds more dollars. I was thinking that if I didn't spend any more money, I could have a decent amount to pay for SOMETHING. However, I already asked my mum about it and she said I could go and not pay for anything since she would consider it educational. Well, anything could be considered educational, eh? "I must go to the Grandaddy concert because...I'll learn...some...thing...nevermind." (Grandaddy is/are (I never know which to use...damn, double parentheses) wonderful, but I don't feel compelled enough to go to this concert. If it was a Saturday, I'd probably go. $25 isn't bad.)

Getting way off, my roommate has been napping for a while. I don't know what's wrong with her, but I wish I could do something. I get bothered by people who always complain yet don't really do anything to change themselves. Then again, I complain a lot. I'd like to believe that the raw foodist thing was a big enough change, but I know I still get bothered by stupid things. The biggest debate is whether or not I should buy nuts...stupid, yes, but that's what I'm thinking. If I buy them, I'll probably eat half of the bag (4 oz) in one day, which is twice as much as I "need" but hey, I'm GLUTTONOUS! Yup, that's me, a terror to fruit and nuts everywhere. ;)

March 7, 2004

Poofy Takeover!

Wow, I didn't update this thing since Tuesday? I don't even remember what has happened since Tuesday. Crap.

Wednesday. ....Wednesday. Oh yes, I had my music theory midterm and it was a lot like the quiz my teacher had previously given us. I was pretty surprised. After that it was off to the media cloisters (I haven't a clue if the website is ever updated, but then again our big project now is to make a new website) to I worked on centering the main div which works fine if your monitor has a gigantic resolution, but if you're like the rest of the world, the centering doesn't work well because it uses negative magins which you can't scroll to view. Damn. I was really happy with it at first until that problem came up. Also, it only looks good in Firefox, although for some reason the scrollbar isn't clickable for me (but the arrows work). This just sucks.

Making websites is just annoying sometimes. There are so many things I want to do with my websites, but I haven't gotten started on ANYTHING and at this rate I never will. Here are my priorities:

  1. install movable type at and somehow configure it so I can use it for the discography and tour sections
  2. sometime implement MT so I can use it for the photo section
  3. figure out how to customize scrollbars for the cloisters site

I probably won't do any of these things, but they're in my head. Somewhere. Covered with dust, underneath the couch. You know what, I haven't sat on a couch in a long time. I have no idea why I just said that. Where did the word "couch" come from anyway? Couch? And where did "sofa" come from? Where did any word come from? WHERE?!

Sofa couch sofa couch sofa couch couch sofa!

Thursday started off pretty nicely, despite having to go to a 9 AM class and the weather being gloomy. My psych teacher said it must've been the worst day to come to class, just a day before vacation (actually, the next day had worse weather and WAS the day vacation was starting, but my bio teacher doesn't give us pity...haha) so he let us out 15 minutes early (which he actually does every now and then). This was great in my case because I wanted to go to Japanese class early to see the first section's presentations, although I missed the first couple since the class started at 10 AM. We all had to present a project in Japanese, but it could be based on anything we wanted. I chose to sing and write a song in Japanese about Yuebing and as Thursday loomed closer I realized that I had never played guitar and sang in front of any person before, not to mention a group of people. During the time before I had to present I started looking out the 3rd story window longingly, wondering if it would do much hard to jump out.

The people before me went through their presentations way too quickly. Dammit! The guy who went before me performed "I Want You Back" along with a recording by the Japanese version of the Jackson 5. He was really good (he's a music major) and then I realized..."I have to go after HIM?" Oh god. But I have to admit that things could have gone much worse. I was nervous as hell and my singing wasn't that great (and I suck at guitar), but some of my practice runs had been worse. So! Overall, could've been worse. That's how I look at the bright side. My teacher wants me to record it so she can have it on tape...ahh!

Oh, and if you're curious enough, here are the lyrics (although they won't work if you don't have the Japanese language pack on your computer):

とても かわいい うさぎ が います。 とくべつ な うさぎ が います。. このうさぎ が だいすき です。 このうさぎ は、だれ ですか?

おなまえ は ユエビン です。
よこはま しゅっしん です。
かのじょ を ハグしたい です。
かのじょ が にほん に います。

たべもの は あたま の うえ に あります。
チョコレートたまご が あります。
もの が たくさん あたま に あります。
たべたこと が できません。

おなまえ は ユエビン です。
よこはま しゅっしん です。
かのじょ を ハグしたい です。
かのじょ が にほん に います。

とても かわいい うさぎ が います。
とくべつ な うさぎ が います。
このうさぎ が だいすき です。
このうさぎ は、だれ ですか?

I don't feel like translating it because it's pretty stupid...but it could've been worse! I know there aren't spaces in Japanese (unless it's a children's book or something) but it helped me out a bit. While I wasn't the only student singing and memorizing a song, or even the only one who wrote one (the guy who lives across the hall from me wrote his own song too), I maybe have been the only person that did all three. I missed the other guy's performance since he's in the first section and performed first, but I would have loved to see it.

I don't think I'll ever play guitar and sing in front of anyone again. At least not in Japanese. It was so unlike me to even do that as my project! There's a first time for everything though, even when you're as shy as I am.

Friday was great because I got to come home! I haven't been home for weeks, and I had actually started getting used to stayed in school every weekend. Last semester I came home on almost ever weekend, which was kind of sad, but I honestly didn't have much to do in school. Bio in the morning was pretty pointless as we had to do an assignment online and the website wasn't working well. I never really know what's going on in that class, to tell you the truth. Japanese class was okay, although made me feel confused like usually. I have a 91 in that class...91! Just a few more points and I'd feel more comfortable. I won't die if I get a B+ or an A- of course, but I'd really like an A in that class. I can brush off psychology and bio, but for me, Japanese is that class that makes me think, "I can do well if I try hard enough!" Which reminds me, I need to make some kanji flash cards. I am truly awful at kanji.

You can trademark the name Kathleen? Wow, I didn't know how much stuff Amrican Girls has been making since I was into it. I used to read the Molly series all the time when I was in grade school (I've never read the other ones) and for some reason also bought trading cards and pins, but I never succumbed to buying the entire Molly doll set ...even though I really, really wanted it. I'm glad I didn't because it's not like I'd have any use for it now, but a lot of my classmates had them. I think on Halloween some of them dressed up like the character and would carry around the doll. I remember playing with some of my classmates' dolls and thinking they were the coolest thing, although I may have been more impressed with the little accesories that came with the doll than the doll itself. Man, it's so weird looking at this stuff again. I don't have any of the books anymore, but I think I can still remember some of the stories.

Wow, this entry is pretty boring right now. I'm not really tired or anything, but...(looks at watch)...I do have to wake up in about 3 and a half hours. I think I'll just stay up then. My mum and I are getting picked up at 6-something AM to go to the airport, and then we'll be on the 6-fhour flight to California (it takes 4 hours to come back). I just read that it takes 5 hours to fly to Iceland, which I never thought about before. Iceland just feels so much farther, but I guess it isn't much father than California? I mean, it's in a different direction so that would affect the flight time, but still, it's not like going to Taiwan. So. Yeah. I still need to figure out what to do about going to England, like where/when/how. I also need to renew my passport, as my current one expires in September. I didn't even USE this one in the past four years! My first passport is chock full of stamps (I always got annoyed with Taiwanese customs because they wouldn't stamp in the boxes and in a perfect world, all the stamps would be nicely organized) which fascinates me now because I haven't been anywhere that far in a long time. I did go to Mexico last year, but I guess passports didn't need to be stamped.

On Friday I got my haircut with my mum, not to get any particular style but just to get a trim. I think it's been four months since my last haircut, which is probably really long considering how short my hair is. We stopped by Kinokuniya since it's right by the hair salon and I wanted to get this issue of Idea, but it wasn't there! *sniff* They usually have a bunch of back issues, so I was hoping to get one. Maybe it's better I don't have it since it costs $40 (but it's much more like a book than a magazine), but I still want it. Blah.

My haircut came out very nice and a different guy cut it this time. I think I've had my hair cut by every stylist who works there, actually. I never care who actually cuts my hair because I haven't noticed any difference, but they always ask that when you make an appointment. Anyhoo, I was wearing my Poofy shirt and one of the ladies said it was cute! I tried to communicate in Japanese, but failed miserably. All I could figure out to say was "kakimasu," which means to write, or to draw in the case of pictures. I told the guy who was cutting my hair that I'm taking Japanese, but I'm just really bad at it (can anyone be really good at Japanese after learning it for less than a year?). He asked me what else I knew how to say, and all I could think of was "Usagi ga, daisuki desu" ...which wasn't totally random since my shirt had Poofy on it. Yeah, that phrase will be handy someday, I'm sure. I can spontaneously break into song!

Speaking of Poofy, if you live in the Philippines you can read a comic in the latest issue of MTV Ink! Don't you want to be as cool as this hippo? Awesome, awesome, AWESOME! IT'S TRIPLE THE AWESOME! YOU MUST ZOOM IN ON THE AWESOME! I have to thank Luis for being super-awesome (I need to expand my vocabulary, I know). He's super-awesome regardless of pushing Poofy onto Philippino youth (I will control their minds, mwaahahaah!). He also interviewed me for an article about young people making things, and I think I'll post the chat transcript here later because some people may find it interesting. Or...probably not. It's such an ego-trip to talk about yourself for a long time.

I should finish packing now. I'm bringing my laptop with me, so I can post things during my vacation...the blogging never stops!

March 10, 2004

Hoards of Japanese Tourists

Today I went to Universal Studios with my mum and brother (actually yesterday, but I was too lazy to post this last night). We went to the Back to the Future ride first and as we got closer, a hoard of uniformed Japanese students came seemingly out of nowhere. I'm guessing that they were high school students since I don't think college students wear uniforms. Actually, all day there were loads of Japanese tourists, not just that hoard that must've been an entire student body (really, there were that many!).

Spending the day in Universal was pretty nice after being in Disneyland for the past two days. For one thing, there are a lot less strollers in Universal. I've become afraid of strollers now because they seem like they could roll over my feet at any given moment (yet I've somehow avoided them so far). Disneyland is just swarming with strollers. (shudders)

So after the Back to the Future ride, my brother said we should go on the Jurassic Park ride. It was good, although you get pretty wet on it. You're basically in this huge vehicle that initially goes by a bunch of peaceful looking dinosaurs, and then everything goes horribly wrong and encounter some not-so-peaceful dinosaurs with lots of sharp teeth. And then there's a big drop in the end because...well, just because. That's the point! The last drop wasn't the thing that made you the most wet though. There were some instances before where you'd just get shot with water. I wasn't really prepared for it, so I was pretty much just thinking "CRAAAP" during the whole time.

Water ended up being a major theme in the Universal Studios experience. A lot of the interactive shows involved being sprayed with water in some way, like the Shrek 4-D show. It was really enjoyable, although every time Donkey sneezed, you'd get a small blast of water. All the seats in the theater moved, which I wasn't expecting, but I guess that's why it's 4-D and not plain ol' 3-D (that's for lesser mortals). There was another 3-D show for Terminator 2, which I thought was pretty good but not something I'd be inclined to see again. The 3-D effects were pretty impressive and the show itself was kind of...odd, but then I haven't seen the movie. I think when I was really little I saw bits of it, but had no idea what was going on.

Other shows that we saw were for Animal Planet, Spider-Man, and Waterworld. We also saw a special effects show and the backlot tour. Overall I guess everything was pretty good. The hosts for the special effects tour were funny and the Waterworld thing was funny because before the show started some of the actors would fill buckets with water and just toss it onto the audience. I would've gotten really annoyed after being drenched for the fourth time (really, these guy would do it over and over again), but some people must've enjoyed it. Some were armed with ponchos, so they must've expected it. Besides buckets, the guys also had these water guns that would suck in water and then pump it out like a hose. Thankfully the actor on my side of the stadium wasn't that masochistic and I didn't get wet at all. At the end of the show I realized that the actor was one of the two main clueless British soldiers from Pirates of the Caribbean, although I couldn't tell at first until they introduced everyone at the end of the show.

One thing about Universal Studios that suck is that it's almost completely devoid of fruits and salad. I got a fruit cup for lunch, but Disneyland is really chock full of fruit stands, to my surprise. Like all the food they sell though, the fruit is pretty overpriced. $1.50 for a banana? Or an apple? Or an orange? I guess it's still the cheapest thing you could get to eat there though, besides candy or something. A hot dog and chips is $7. It might be some gigantic mutant hot dog, I don't know. The fruit is definitely just normal fruit.

I'll have to write separate entries about my other days...doh!

March 11, 2004

No Grocery Stores?

Today my mum and I went on a LA guided tour. We kind of planned it at the last minute as we've never really been there before and we may not come back to California for a while. It was a very nice tour during which we went through the financial district, the Hollywood sidewalk with all the stars and such, the Kodak Theater, Beverly Hills, the Farmer's Market, Venice Beach, and a wharf whose name I can't remember. You could probably guess that my favorite place was the Farmer's Market, which was chock full of FOOD. Crazy amounts of food. My mum bought some fruit and there was a vendor selling loads of nuts, so I bought half a pound of cashews and...other things. I ate way too much today is all.

There weren't that many people around the Kodak Theater and the Chinese Theater besides some tourists. I didn't know most of the actors and actresses on the sidewalk, although I guess my mum did. There was an Elvis impersonator and a Michael Jackson impersonator walking around. I bought a t-shirt because...well, I actually haven't bought any souvenirs here so far. I don't feel compelled to buy any Disney tchotckes (probably butchered that spelling) but cute t-shirts are always good. It says something like "Someone who loves me went to Hollywood and bought me this t-shirt" except I bought myself the t-shirt, so maybe that's stupid.

Beverly Hills is such a beautiful place. I wouldn't be able to live there though (besides the not being filthy rich part) because they have no grocery stores. Then again, I'm sure there's something nearby, but the whole place is just residential and I think that would bother me. It doesn't seem very fun to just get peopel to deliver groceries to your house, but if you're busy making movies or something, then...I guess that's convenient? I had fun at the Farmer's Market. We went past a bunch of celebrities homes and Chris Rock had a TON of cars just out on his lawn and driveway. It was kind of funny, but it wasn't something you could really easily see. I mean, all these houses are gated with lots of trees in front, so if you put loads of cars on your front lawn, is that pretty much just so you can see them yourself? Like "Hey, I have a lot of cars!" Well, okay. Jay Leno's house was easier to see, and it looked really nice. Versace's house was really nice looking and his family apparently isn't going to do anything with it besides just leave it there. We saw Aaron Spelling's house from a bit far away, but it was just ridiculously massive, looming over his country club or something. We passed by Tom Hank's entertainment home, not that we could actually see it since there were loads of trees and junk in front along with a security guard. Dustin Hoffman had a nice house. Joe Pesci too. ....of course, all the houses are ridiculously beautiful, but just makes me wonder what people do with all that space. If I had loads of money, I'd want to design my own house (well, I'd get an architect) and...something or other. I'd want to live in an apartment because it's less likely I'd lose something that way.

It got really chilly by the time we got to Venice Beach, which kind of sucked. It also got freakishly cloudly after the sky had been completely clear. Poo! Of course, the cold weather is nothing compared to NJ, so I shouldn't complain.

For dinner my mum, brother and I went to the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney. All the fun of being in the rainforest while you eat...euh, exciting, no? Every now and then a gorilla would make noises and there would be thunderstorms. I got a huge house salad since it's really a side dish, and it was good. It was the only thing a raw vegan could eat there though.

Now my mum and brother are arguing about going on the Grizzly Bear Run ride at California Adventure. It's a river rapids type ride and I don't want to go on it because I don't want to get wet. I might buy a poncho tomorrow just for the ride. Argh. I mean, my brother said you WILL get wet and you MAY get soaked. Gee, what great odds. I didn't like being cold after the Jurassic Park ride yesterday, on which I didn't even get that wet, so I can't imagine how wet I'll get tomorrow.

Sorry if this entry sounds poopy, but I feel tired and I had been constipated for three days (or more) prior to last night. Except I still think something is wrong with my digestion, considering how much I've been eating.


[next day] I ended up going on the river rapids ride and I didn't get as wet as I thought I would. But apparently it was just luck. WOO!

March 12, 2004

Smells Like Trees

Today my family spent most of the time in California Adventure. We got there right at opening time and the first ride we went on was Soarin' Over California. I heard it was a really good ride, so I probably set my expectations too high, but it was really cool. It's a flight simulator type ride that takes place in front of a huge IMAX sized screen. There were three sections with three rows that...actually, I have no idea how to describe the set up. The screen shows scenes from all over California, except I didn't know exactly where they were except for the last one that went over Disneyland and ended with fireworks. Besides giving the illusion of flying, the ride also pumped some scents into your face (woohoo, chemicals). In the beginning when you fly over a forested area, everything smells....well, foresty. Piney. Mm. Later when flying over an orange grove, you smell oranges. Mm!

After that we went on the Grizzly Bear Run, a river rapids ride. You can potentially get very wet on it, but luckily I didn't get drenched. My legs got pretty soaked but my upper body was okay. The ride was fun, but there weren't any interesting things to look at during the ride besides some climging gear strewn upon the rocks at one point. At least on Big Thunder, there are some animals and junk standing around.

We went to Paradise Pier to go on Maliboomer and the Sun Wheel. Maliboomer reminded me of a ride from Space Camp that shoots you up and drops you back down. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, more like a way to get a good view over the area around Disneyland. The Sun Wheel is just a huge ferris wheel, so I thought it would be tame, but it actually made me the most nauseous out of any ride in either of the Disney parks. Or maybe any Disney park. The thing is that two thirds of the carriages aren't stationary and swing a pretty far distance as you go up. I don't really know how to explain it, but if you see a photo you can see the track that the carriages rock back and forth on. They rocked a LOT more than I thought they would and it was pretty scary. And then I got nauseous and that kind of ruined the "Hey, you can see everything from up here!" excitement. Doh. We also watched a pretty good Aladdin stage show with the magic carpet flying around and ...stuff. The theater it was in was really huge.

After lunch we went to Disneyland Park (I forgot that Disneyland Park is just called that and not the Magic Kingdom like in Disney World, which has four parks) to see a Snow White stage show. That was also good, although I'm not as into Snow White. I haven't seen that movie in a pretty long time. We also went on Roger Rabbits Car-Toon Spin in which you're in a cartoony cab and you can make it spin around and around because...well, because! Why not? My mum wanted to go on the Storybook Land ride and the Casey Jr Train, which both center around this area with miniature sets from Disney movies. Very cute little place, but not all that exciting. I guess little kids enjoy it though. And my mum. After we ate dinner we watched a parade featuring a bunch of Disney characters (not that they'd feature anything else). The weather was getting chilly and as I'm prone to feeling cold all the time, I ended up looking for a shirt to buy. Most Disney-clothing isn't stuff you're likely to want to wear out of the park, but I found a nice sweater (for little boys) that just says "Disneyland" on it, kind of like a baseball team's lettering. So I'm happy with that, and I wouldn't mind wearing it back home. WOO!

Gotta go to sleep. Tomorrow we're waking up at 7:30 or something to get to the park at opening time again.

March 13, 2004

Technical Difficulties

My family used Fastpass to get onto Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which cut what may have been a nearly 60 minute wait to about 10. We got on the ride and all seemed well, but when we got up the first ramp to where the water falls over the rocks to the sides of the train, everything stopped. Hm, maybe a few glitches? We were stuck in that position for a while (what a great place, right next to the rushing water which made you feel like you were in a light drizzle) before the lights were turned on and everyone had to be escorted off the train and walked back to the entrance. We were all given passes to go on any other ride quickly, not just Fastpass ones. We don't need to use it though, so we'll just keep it somewhere as a memento.

That was the most interesting thing that happened today. It was a pretty long day, waking up at 7:30 AM and besides a 90 minute break at the hotel, walking around both parks until after 11 PM. We went to Disneyland first to ride Big Thunder (the time it broke down was at night), and then my mum and I wanted to collect a bunch of Fastpass tickets at souvenirs since each ride's ticket looks a little different. (In case you don't know, Fastpass is a way to decrease your waiting time by returning at a designated time later in the day. It's usually not that much later, and we tend to use ours way after the 1-hour period. I'm not sure why the tickets say to return between two times when all you have to do is return after the earlier time. It's a good system and is worth using if the wait for a ride is more than 30 minutes.) We went on the Pooh's Adventure ride, which was my third time. It's really cute and has the trippiest scene of Pooh's dream that involves a lot of fluorescent colors things, mirrors, rotating circles...if someone were on that ride and on drugs, they'd probably just freak out.

I can't remember what we did after that, but we went to California Adventure for lunch and went to the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire show. It was pretty cool, although I was bad at it. The person in the hot seat can win a Disney Cruise package by getting to the 1 million point mark. During the show I saw, two people ended up in the hot seat but only got as far as the first plateau of 1,000 points. Still, it's a lot better than how I would've done. One question asked what the gerund of a sentence was...huh? Oh well, they got a bunch of collectible pins...woo! The host of the show was amusingly overenthusiastic.

We all went to a Disney Playhouse show which was for really little kids, but it was still cute. I think it was based on shows on the Disney Channel, with that big bear and the big round headed yellow dudes, the boy and his fish, and the Winnie-The-Pooh puppet thing. It was kind of chaotic being surrounded by loads of little kids jumping around and stuff. Oh, what it's like to be that little...I have no idea! :\ My mum and I went to the animation studio to see some little movies about animation and Walt Disney. There was also an interative part that was awesomely decorated, and in one room you could record your voice into different Disney movie scenes. I tried to do one from Bambi...of course, it sucked, but it was interesting to see how much I sucked. I hadn't seen Bambi in a while and forgot that he was male.

We went back to Disneyland to eat dinner because we made reservations at the Blue Bayou restaurant in New Orleans Square. It's the restaurant that's inside the Pirates of the Caribbean building that's made to look like it's outside. It is kind of weird to go inside a restaurant in order to feel like you're outside,'s a fun idea too. Also, it's pretty much the only formal dining restaurant in the park. They didn't have a salad listed on the menu, but they had it as a side dish with the entrees so I just got a double portion of it. Also, beforehand I succumbed to the evilness of FOOD and bought trail mix. Doh! I knew it was all roasted, but I was really curious to see what it tasted like and whether it would affect me. So far I haven't had any problems and luckily, none of the nuts were salted. Roasted almonds taste WAY different from raw almonds. Raw ones taste better, if you ask me. Roasted pumpkin seeds taste better than the raw ones though. Anyway! Now I'm am deviating from my diet in little ways...not like I'm going to go to Disneyland again anytime soon. :| I was getting kind of depressed after watching my brother eating a confection of three marshmallows on a stick dipped in caramel, chocolate, and nuts.

After taking a little break at the hotel, we went back to California Adventure to see the Electrical Parade. I must've seen it a buttload of times by now, but it's always enjoyable. I don't like any other parades very much. It consists of loads of floats covered in...loads of lights, and it's a really old parade (since the 60s? Not really sure). I don't think it's been changed much in the past few decades. It used to be in Disneyland and when it was ending there some bagillion people showed up and staked out spots on the parade route first thing in the morning to see it. Yikes!

Right after that parade ended, we (along with hundreds of other people) went right across the Disneyland since California Adventure was closing. That was when we went on the malfunctioning Big Thunder. We decided to wait for Fantasmic after that so we could get a good spot. Fantasmic is a show that involved live characters, elaborate costumes, music, movie clips, boats, water, fire, fireworks, that I think about it, maybe it was an attempt to shove every possible source of entertainment into one show. It's been around for a while, but it's still pretty cool. It all takes place in the river by Frontierland (I know it has a name, but I can't remember it) and movie clips are projected from behind screens made of misting water. It's never messed up when I've seen it, but if it were really windy then it probably wouldn't work.

Crap, I'm tired! I get to sleep in tomorrow, wooo!

March 14, 2004

The Essence of Disney

Today my family decided to sleep in after waking up early in the morning every day of this week. We signed up to go on a three and a half hour guided tour called "A Walk i Walt's Footsteps" that would go around the park and talk about Walt Disney.

....I've been completely sidetracked by browsing for the, long time. I was thinking that if I go to England this summer, I could go to Disneyland Paris. They're not exactly the same place, I know, but they're closer together than France and NJ. My geography is bad, but not that bad. ;) But I really don't know how long it takes to get to Paris from London. Eh, anyway! I also read the pages about Tokyo DisneySea and my god, it's absolutely amazing looking. It basically looks like Disney made by Japanese people. What does that mean? I don't even know. I didn't realize that the Tokyo parks aren't own by Disney, which, as sad as this may be, may explain why they seem so much better than the American parks. The last time I went to Tokyo Disneyland was in 1997, but I still remember that the park seemed nicer. There are probably a few reasons for that...can't think of them right now though. I could talk about this for ages.

But! Back to today. Man, I'm tired and I have to take a shower. I'm alone in the hotel right now because my mum and brother went back to the park, although not together. The park closes at midnight so I'd think they'll be coming back soon. Anyway! The tour. It was very nice and informative. I'd never be able to be a tour guide. Our guide was named Timmy and had to speak loudly and clearly to the 14 or so people in the group, which he'd have to do anyway, but considering we were walking among a Saturday afternoon crowd with loads of noise it was even more important that he do so. It must be weird to have to speak so slowly...when you speak slowly it sounds really slow in your head but doesn't sound as slowly to your listeners. I think. Also, he I hope that doesn't sound too weird. How does one even sound gay? I'm not even sure what that means, but I've had friends that sounded gay and (as far as I know) were not. Now that I think about it, I really don't know what it means to sound gay...okay, my thoughts are sounding really stupid now.

We learned lots of things about Walt, although I can't recall a lot of it. That's because my memory is nonexistent. I remember that he died from lung cancer complications (he was a heavy smoker) and his wife died from breast cancer, although muuuuch later than him. And the Disney Gallery in New Orleans Square was originally going to be an apartment for him and his family. After learning more about Walt, I really am amazed by everything he has created. Disneyland is really unlike any other theme park. Each land is so well themed and completely separate from the others, and there are all these details that you may not notice when they're present, but if they were gone you'd feel like something is missing (I think I'm screwing up all my tenses, but you know...grammar sucks). Walt wanted to make a place where parents and children could have fun together and it really is like that in the park (although I wish that all strollers would burn in hell). That's a problem with California Adventure, I think; there aren't enough things for parents and children to do together. Then again, I don't have kids, so I shouldn't care that much. I'm not a big fan of California Adventure.

The Disney parks that I like the most are the ones that Walt was involved in. I didn't realize that he didn't do any planning for MGM Studios, and I can't say much about Animal Kingdom since I've only been there once for a short amount of time, but while both parks are still better than a typical theme park, there's something...missing? Epcot Center is my favorite park for some reason. It's not even all that tied in with Disney characters and such, but it's just so...Disney. At least now it is. I find it interesting how Disneyland can have rides that have nothing to do with Disney characters, like Big Thunder or Space Mountain, but are just so representative of Disney. Do you know what I mean? I might not be making any sense right now.

I would say more about the tour, but my brain is shutting down. At the end of the tour we all got dinner (mm, salad) and a souvenir pin and Mardi Gras beads). I asked one of the guides (there were two) about Space Mountain being closed, and I don't feel as bad about it anymore because the entire track has been dismantled. The moutain is...empty, pretty much? That must be a strange sight. It won't open again until spring of 2005. (sigh)

It's my last night here! Wah!

March 17, 2004

The Life of a Tissue

Today I woke up feeling like there was a block in my throat. Not very fun, eh? Last night I started to feel sick (technically last-last night...I stay up too late), and my mum also felt like she had a sore throat. However, she felt fine this morning, while I was left with some kind of mucus build-up in my throat. I guess things could be worse though; I can breathe through my nose fine. I just have to blow my nose every now and then. It would really suck to be a tissue, eh? Get snot blown all over you and then crumpled up and tossed into a wastebasket. What a crappy life. *blows nose*

It snowed today. What the heck is up with that? I guess it's a good thing I came home yesterday instead of today. If only I were still in California...*sigh*. It was kind of chilly in CA near the end of the vacation, but it's much colder here. It's sunny here though, so I think I could actually get a tan here if, went outside. I got a tan in CA even though it wasn't even always sunny. Mmwell.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store, Pearl Paint, and B&N with my mum. We both thought we'd gain loads of weight from the trip, but we actually weighed about the same as before. This tells me that if I hadn't eaten so much, I would have actually lost weight. I gained nearly 10 pounds since the beginning of school and now weigh more than I did a year ago. Now if I had muscle, this wouldn't be a problem...but I don't. So it is! I don't know how to lose the weight now and I'm not sure how I did it last year. I did lose a few pounds when I went to Mexico just from eaten less overall, but to do that again would require going to a place like Mexico where I just can't get food. In the resort I stayed at though, there was actually a grocery store. Eh, anyway...poop. I hate being so self-conscious about my weight, but the majority of the American population is overweight and I'd rather not be part of the statistic. The current issue of I.D. has a great article about designing for overweight and obese people as they are becoming the norm in this country. I'm really bothered by the alteration of clothing sizes because if I'm a size 6 or 7, just tell me that; I know I'm not a size 2 or 3 yet in many cases that's what I end up buying. It's scary how much the human body has changed in this country over the past few decades.

I bought an issue of mental_floss just for fun. Always fun to learn random junk.

Speaking of random junk, Sandy just sent me this link: favorite swear word. Funny! I don't have a favorite swear word though, although I do say "crap" and "poop" a lot. That's as bad as it gets.

Today I lazied around the house and did absolutely nothing. I have homework though, so this isn't a very good thing. I have to write a composition for Japanese and do some biology homework. The last thing I want to do right now is anything related to school. Why can't I be excited for school? Argh! And, once again, I have no idea what I want to do with my life. It wouldn't be good for me to have a breakdown at 18 years of age. Didn't I go through this already? I've decided art school is pretty much out of the question, so now I can doodle to my hearts content. I'm still interested in health, but crap at science. Japanese would be fun to learn, but Japan is...far. And expensive. I doubt I'd ever live there and if I did, it might be weird as a Chinese American who doesn't know Chinese and only minimal Japanese. Could I be mistaken for a Japanese person? People keep thinking I'm Korean. I can't tell most Asians apart, but I think Japanese people are sometimes easy to pick out. It may be more of a style thing though. In Disneyland there were a significant number of Japanese people (but isn't Tokyo Disneyland better? I really liked it there) who all had...really nice hair. That's all I can think of at the moment. I really wish my hair wasn't prone to getting wavy and greasy (eh, I need to wash it).

Terminlogy differences between American and England. I don't think any British people read this, but...plimsolls? I heard of that before, but what the heck does that mean? Then again, the word "sneakers" doesn't mean much either. Plimsolls? Actually, I like the sound of that. But I can't imagine saying, "Bugger, my plimsoll laces have untied themselves!" Okay, no one would ever say that.

I never talked about my Sunday morning! Oops. I woke up early to go to Disneyland with my mum. We went on Big Thunder first and then tried to go on Splash Mountain, but the ride was down for some reason. Wah. So we went on the Pooh ride instead and the Haunted Mansion. We went on some Fantasyland rides and walked around before going into California Adventure just to visit some stores. Then we went back to the hotel as my brother was just getting up (his park pass was only for 5 days while ours were for 6), and he later went to Downtown Disney. It always sucks to have to leave a Disney park at the end of the vacation, but I think the parks will be more crowded now that it's getting more into spring break. My brother and I just happened to have it pretty early in the month.

I don't want to go back to school! :(

May 26, 2004

There's a rat in my throat

*HACK COUGH HACK* Okay, all better. I based the subject of this entire entry on choking on my own spit. I choke on my own spit quite often. Thank god the human body has a way of making sure my saliva doesn't go down the wrong tube. It just goes into intense hacking mode. Gee, thanks!

I keep forgetting to update this thing. I'm sure no one sheds any tears over this, but I think I'd like to update more. My butt is already permanently stuck to this chair, so it's not like it'd be a big deal to type some semi-meaningful thing. Not that I'm saying this is meaningful. What am I saying? I dunno.

Yesterday (well, two days ago now that it's so late) I came back to Vassar to move into a TH for my summer job. Before that, I spent the weekend in St. Louis at went to my brother's school to see his graduation. St. Louis is much nicer than Poughkeepsie and my brother's school is much MUCH nicer than Vassar. Or somewhat nicer. Of course, it's a university and its student body is about three times bigger than Vassar's, but it almost made me sad. Vassar is a really nice school already, so image what Wash U was like. Since my brother has been going there, they've been building loads of new stuff and just a few weeks ago unveiled a refurbished library. An AWESOME library. An awesome library with shelves that move around and could possible squish people. ...okay, maybe not so cool.

My brother's graduation lasted about 3 hours in the blazing hot sun (as opposed to a non-blazing one...). At least we all got free water bottles imortalized with a Wash U label. They didn't pass out diplomas at the ceremony though...students had to pick them up afterwards. The school would mail it home though if you didn't pick it up, which is what my brother opted to do.

In St. Louis my mum and I walked around a street called "The Loop" which is chock full of fun eating and shopping places that don't remind you of a mall. We also went to the Contemporary Art Museum for a short while. There's a lot of space in there but not much...stuff. The museum is the kind of place I'd love to live in when I get older though. Just have a HUGE room with stuff spread out in it. No small spaces or dividers. I'm still obsessed with some kinds of architecture, but I don't know why. I mean, I'm obsessed with design junk in general. Why oh why couldn't I have been born a designer? WHYYYY? (angry..ish)

So. Back in Poughkeepsie. Yesterday was a bit of a disaster due to res life being a pain in the bum and my life being suckage. I was told to arrive at school between 9 and 11 AM to pick up my keys (9 AM was the checkout time for the seniors) but of course when I arrived there at around 10:30, most people weren't finished moving out. I was told to come back in the early afternoon (just "early afternoon", no definite time) so my mum, brother and I had to kill time at the Galleria. We went back to school at around 2:30 and I went to three different places on campus to attempt to get my key before being told to pick up my keys at the THs (town houses/temporary housing), which are off campus.

When I got to the THs, there was crap everywhere. The THs are arranged in a circle with a big grassy area in the center, which was covered with old furniture and crap that people didn't want anymore. Charities come by to pick stuff up and the summer housing students can take junk too. I got a wastebasket and some plates. The THs themselves were pretty gross since the people living in them before SUCK ASS and no one from the school got to clean them out yet. And to make things worse, I found out I wasn't going to live in the TH I originally thought I was going to live in due to some stupid housing arrangements the school made. So now I'm living in a TH with three other guys. Wee. It's not bad or anything, but I don't know any of them that well and I spent all my time in my room. JOY.

And my leg is itchy. Maybe I'm allergic to something in the room. Stupid dust. Making me sick. GRR. [scratch scratch]

Today all we did was meet in the morning for a little meeting and breakfast and again at dinner for a barbecue at the head professor's house. It was fun and the house was very picturesque...a cute yellow house with a big backyard and front yard. There was lots of fruit for me to eat. ;)

Damn, leg is still itchy. I think I'll take a shower now.

July 30, 2004

Otakon: Day 1

I woke up nice and early today to go to Otakon with Diana. I did a test drive to Baltimore this past Monday with my mum to make sure I wouldn't die driving there today and guess what: I'm alive! Miracles of miracles. We left at about 6:30 this morning and got to Baltimore at around 10 AM, which is perfect timing. I didn't pass any exploding cars and I wasn't close to dying at any point! I did drive pretty fast some times, but so was everyone else...I don't feel that comfortable driving at 70-80mph around so many other cars though. While I was driving I was thinking, "What if that car in front of me dies and then stops and then I smash into it and then I KILL US BOTH OH GOD!"

Er, I don't really like driving. But I thought it was time for me to drive somewhere long distance by myself..."by myself" being the main thing. Actually, it wasn't really by myself cos I was with Diana but it was in the absense of my mother, which is the main thing. Right. I think she was surprised that I managed to not kill anything but also happy that I was safe. I'm nervous about the ride home though.

So...Otakon. Anime convention. Loooots of people in costumes. When I walked in to get my badge I felt like I was surrounded by the NSO (non-human student organization) x 1000. The costumes kinda freaked me out but then it must be fun to get to wear a costume. Some of them were really good too. I can't imagine having to make my own costume. I'd dress up as something really easy, like Kiki in Kiki's Delivery Service. A black dress and a broom...all done!

I didn't get to go to any of the activities, but then I wouldn't be that interested in them. I'm not really an anime love of anime encompasses Sailor Moon and anything by Studio Ghibli. The only mangas I've read are Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind and Parasyte. I'd rather not become an otaku...seems too time and money consuming. I shared a table with Diana in the Artists Alley to peddle my Poofy wares and I did pretty well. I would have liked to do better but I may have sold to 30-40 different people. A lot of those sales consisted of my $1 coloring book + 2 stickers deal, but I sold 8 books (thank god, cos I ordered 150 of them), some poofies, 5 shirts, a bunch of button sets, blah blah blah...I may have sold $200 of stuff, but I'm not sure. Between $150 and $200, at least. I should add up my stuff.

I walked around a little bit to take a break and went to the game room and the dealers room. The game room was a little scary...okay, a lot of this convention scares me. Anyhoo! The game room was absolutely huge, with rows of TVs and REALLY huge screens on the wall with video projected onto them. The dealers room was also mega-huge with buttloads of books and dvds. And cute Japanese stuff, of course. I bought two shirts made by; a domokun face shirt and a beer/tobacco japanese warning shirt. Silly and not necessary, considering I have way too many t-shirts, but there wasn't anything else that I wanted and I wanted some kind of souvenir. There were "anime grab bags" sold by some vendors but I didn't want complete random crap.

I actually met a girl who has read my comic! I was surprised, of course. She was very nice and said she liked the "I have nubs for arms!" drawing. Another girl bought some buttons from me and she later came back with all the buttons on her bag. Another dude bought a shirt from me and later came back wearing the shirt...people can't wait to use their stuff, haha. And a lot of people picked up my book, although I only sold 8...and four of them were sold nearly all at the same time. It must be the mob mentality, or something. Anyway, it was fun cos I got to write different stuff on every book. I wrote "I LOVE [person's name]" for some of them and some random stuff I thought up was "I EAT SNAILS!" and "I EAT GREASE!" One girl asked me to write "I LOVE PANCAKES AND HENTAI!" and a guy asked me to write "HAPPY MENOPAUSE STEF!" for a friend's birthday gift. Aw. ;D

I'm verrry tired since I've been up since 6 AM. I didn't eat any food today...I managed to do a 24+ hour fast! And it's for the best because my health has been really bad. Yeah, I ate cooked food. I didn't want to be really strict with Diana around, although now that i'm not eating anything, I guess that's even worse. I figure the money I save on food can go towards the ethernet access I'm using in the hotel now ($10 for 24hrs). I found that the more I eat, the hungrier I get (unless it's a ridiculous amount of food) and now that I haven't eaten, I actually feel un-hungry. But the idea of eating food looks very good...grr.

August 3, 2004

Otakon is Over, Wargh

I'm back!...okay, I've been back for a while now. I didn't die driving back from Baltimore, which is a huge shock. SHOCK! So my first Anime convention is over, not that I got to fully experience it, but it's probably better that way as I'm not a die-hard fan and seeing people in costumes without the accompanying skits was frightening enough. I gained a lot out of being part of the "artists alley", even if I wasn't really an artist (haha). And now I know what glomp means. I am very much enlightened. I think.

Saturday morning I had gotten sick after fasting all of Friday. I wasn't surprised, but obviously, it sucked. It would've sucked if I were at home but it really sucked since I was supposed to be manning my table and selling my crap. I could explain how getting sick made a lot of sense, but it would take me a while. If you're really curious you can ask me, but just for your information, when I fasted on raw food I never got sick to the point that I didn't feel like I could go about my regular activities. I slept in late and Diana went to the artists alley at around noonish. I think I got to AA at 2-3PM after deciding to eat some lunch, which I figured would suppress the weird feeling in my tummy and stop me from sweating for no reason (my whole body felt hot and cold at the same time, although more hot than cold).

I felt like crap when I got to AA, but shortly after that a girl who bought a coloring book from my table the day before came back art! AHHH! KAWAII! She drew this adorable picture of herself holding a giant poofy and lots of puddings all around. My first was exciting! And made me happy. The sickness went away shortly after that and I made a lot of sales on Saturday. I made a surprisingly large amount of sales

I sold out of my cloud emotions and animal thoughts buttons, so I gotta make more of those. Sold out of my Poofy t-shirts too (I had 10 of them)! Tallying up other stuff, I sold 31 books, 50-something coloring book + sticker sets and I sold 21 poofies (I gave one to the girl who made me the fan art). I made enough money to pay my mum back for the books, woo! :) I made around $1000, although if I had to pay for my hotel, gas and food bills (and disregard all the money I spent on making my merchandise), the gross profit would be pretty meager. Mmwell.

Never again in my life will I hear so many people say, "I eat butter!" (that's what was written on the cover of my sample Poofy book). It's almost a sad thought, until I realized how weird it would be for people to say that on a regular basis. It was cool getting feedback about all my stuff; in case I wasn't sure before, I'm sure now that I'm very strange. WOO. Strange and random. That's me! I got compared to Happy Bunny and Filler Bunny. Someone said my book reminded her of Jhonen Vasquez's "Bad Art Collection", which I'll take as a compliment since I love him. However, the title is fitting. Very fitting.

Oh yeah, I mentioned the word glomp. If you don't know what this means, don't worry because it's nothing bad. It sounds kinda...strange. Kind of like "chomp" but not. That can be the motto! "Like chomp, but not!" Anyhoo, it pretty much means to hug, but I guess it primarily applies to anime related stuff. A lot of guys had signs asking for hugs...actually, there were a lot of people with signs in general. Why? I have no idea. I suppose it's an anime convention thingy. "HUG MEE!" I'd hug someone, but I didn't really get the chance as I was hiding behind my table. Woo!

It was kind of sad leaving on Sunday. Diana and I ate at Legal Seafood for our only real food in Baltimore before embarking on a 4 hour ride back to NJ. The NJ Turnpike was all congested, like mucus gooo. Ergh! But it was a really easy drive and I felt like I really accomplished something by driving without my mum. :)

I'll have photos up soon, or you can check out the photos page and see if I have anything new up yet. Now I have to prepare for England!

August 10, 2005

it smells like zoo

It's August 10th already? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? Double digits = bad! Very bad. School looms ever nearer...

But I'll try not to think about it. How? I'll rip out chunks of my brain! I suppose I could screw up and cut into the part that enables me to breathe without thinking, but...but. Sometimes, you just gotta take risks.

Last Friday I had much fun fooding with craploads of friends. After the fooding, Diana, Carol, and Allen accompanied me to the Sayonara exhibit where A POOFY WAS HANGING ON THE WALL! Yes! Truly!


I was very flattered that Love bought a Poofy from me at the MoCCA festival and decided to use it in the "plush zoo" section of the exhibit (which feature her and Mike Segawa's artwork). Especially since it paled in comparison to the other plushies on display.

plushies on the wall
plushies on the wall

If I can, I'm going to decorate my dorm room wall in a similar manner. :)

Diana parted since she had to go home but Carol, Allen and I plodged on to embark on a 70 block walk and jaunt through the cook book aisles of Barnes & Noble. What better way could you spend a night? Partying? Drinking? NO! LOOKING AT COOKBOOKS! And having a hell of a good time.

I stayed over Carol's dorm so we could go to the Bronx Zoo bright and early the next morning. Bright and early didn't work too well for us since we were half-dead (maybe me more so than her), but WE PLODGED ON! FOR THE ANIMALS! AND THE SMELL OF POOP! We were pretty sure we were heading in the righr direction when we saw this sign:

No, the zoo isn't in the sky

The zoo was hot. Full of animals and children. Babies. Parents. Sleeping lions. Sleeping polar bears. Zoo food is overpriced and craptastic. One of the highlights was THIS PAIR OF MONGOOSE...geese...good lord, what is it?


Wow, they're cute. Good name too.

Of course, I'm partial to cute things. If you look like this:

fat toad things
fat toad things

I probably won't love you. Things that glisten aren't high on the lovable scale.

So the zoo was fine and dandy. I wouldn't call it one of my favorite places on earth, but now I know where to go for a mongoose fixin' and I had a lot of fun with Carol and her friends.

Life has been rather uneventful since then, or rather, it's mainly food or music related and I have those two blogs covered. Damn. Methinks I need to do something else, like make more poofies or do something design-related. Or sleep less.

June 18, 2006

photos from norway

pretty buildings little houses tube bacon seafood n stuff going to see animals kvikk lunsj scrambled egg shrimp salad on baguette flyers IMG_0479 nightlife IMG_0527 IMG_0556 ice cream and rhubarb tart penguin so many fishies diana's stuff IMG_0741 IMG_0768 IMG_0783 IMG_0786

About travel

This page contains an archive of all entries posted to in the travel category. They are listed from oldest to newest.

shopping is the previous category.

web junk is the next category.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.